- Jayro Bustamante
- María Mercedes Coroy, Sabrina De La Hoz, Julio Díaz, Margarita Kénefic, Juan Pablo Olyslager, Ayla-Elea Hurtado
- Drama, Suspense
- 93 min.
- Guatemala, France
- Spanish, Mayan-Caqchickel, Mayan-Ixil
- Production Companies
- La Casa de Producción, Les Films du Volcan
- Theatrical Release
- 22nd January, 2020 (France); 12th March, 2020 (Guatemala)
- Screener availability
- Access our exclusive platform
to see more (exclusive for buyers):
Having made his name as a director who crafts works of great sensitivity and visual richness, Silver Bear-winning director Jayro Bustamante is back with LA LLORONA, a tale of horror and fantasy, ripe with suspense, and an urgent metaphor of Guatemalan recent history and its unhealed political wounds.
With the words “If you cry, I’ll kill you” ringing in their ears, Alma and her sons are murdered in Guatemala’s armed conflict.
Thirty years later, a criminal case is brought against Enrique, a retired general who oversaw the genocide. But he’s acquitted through a mistrial and the spirit of La Llorona is unleashed to wander the world like a lost soul amongst the living.
At night, Enrique starts to hear her wailing. His wife and daughter believe he’s having bouts of Alzheimer’s-related dementia. Little could they suspect that their new housekeeper, Alma, is there to mete out the vengeance the trial did not.